Tuesday, May 26, 2009

Plan A Vacation and Work, Work, Work!

I think I’ve got this all figured out now. There is an unspoken law of Real Estate that in order to stay busy, one must plan a vacation or schedule to take some time away from the job. No matter how slow things have been, as soon as you do, the phone rings and the property that has been sitting the longest must be shown precisely when you are not available. Oh, good grief!

This past weekend was no exception – a national holiday. In this economy, in a place where no one is in a hurry to make a decision, one would think the entire world would be on vacation, or at least could wait until Monday. This is obviously not the case. Only this time I threw a monkey-wrench at the god’s. I only pretended to make plans to be away from the office, and feigned my inaccessibility to show property. Guess what; it worked!

Thursday afternoon the phone started ringing. I had multiple calls every day through the weekend. Since this wasn’t a surprise, and I had planned around it, I got everything finished I needed to accomplish, and still had more time than usual to spend with my family. It was my best working non-vacation ever, and the results were in my financial favor too.

The way I see it, I am telling everyone I know I have vacation plans each week through the summer. They’ll never know the difference, and as a result, I’m certain to have my best year ever. Well at least until the god’s figure it out, or whenever I actually decide take a real vacation!


Source: John VanderSyde is an Associate Broker with Virginia Properties, A Long & Foster Company, and is also a Licensed Architect. You can learn more about John and Ann VanderSyde by visiting www.InSydeHomes.com

No comments:

Post a Comment